- Title: Cengage Advantage Books: Business Law Today: The Essentials
- Author: Roger LeRoy Miller, Gaylord A. Jentz
- Released: 2010-01-01
- Pages: 864
- ISBN: 0324786158
- ISBN13: 978-0324786156
- ASIN: 0324786158
From the PublisherNew Features
- "Linking the Law": These special features appear in selected chapters to underscore how the law relates to various other disciplines in the business school curriculum, providing vital and practical information to users on how the subjects they study are interconnected. These features conclude with a "For Critical Analysis" section to reinforce the text's emphasis on critical thinking skills.
- New Highlighted and Numbered Case Examples: To provide more case examples to illustrate legal concepts, numbered "Case Examples" are integrated throughout the text along with the numbered hypothetical "Examples."
- New Chapter on Cyber Crime: Cyber Crime is becoming an increasingly critical problem for businesses today. Chapter 7, "Cyber Crime," addresses the enormous problem of identity theft, computer crimes, and the debate over the extent of Internet Service Providers' immunity for Web content.
- ExamPrep: Each chapter concludes with an "ExamPrep" section that includes:
- "Issue Spotters," so users can check their comprehension of some of the legal concepts covered in the chapter (answers are available on the companion website)
- A reference to the Online Quizzes for use in preparing for quizzes and exams
- Chapter Review: The "Reviewing..." feature that concludes each chapter helps users solidify their understanding of the chapter material. Also, to help users grasp some of the more difficult legal topics, "Concept Summaries" are integrated throughout the text.
- Case Treatment: Summarized cases facilitate understanding. Special emphasis is given to "Classic Cases," and they include a "Comment" section that stresses how important the court's decision has been to the evolution of the law in that area. Each case concludes with a special feature such as "Why is This Case Important in Business?"--to draw attention to how the legal concept impacts business--or "Impact of This Case on Today's Law," which explains why the case is still relevant for businesspersons today.
- Global Perspective: "Beyond Our Border" sections are included in select chapters and cover a broad array of topics that relate to the international business environment in more depth.
- Application Rich: Found in approximately half of the chapters, "Applications" offers practical advice on ways to navigate the legal waters of the business environment. Each "Application" concludes with a checklist on how to avoid legal problems. Also included in many of the chapters, "Landmark in the Law" explores a landmark case, statute, or other law that has had a significant impact on business law. It concludes with a section titled "Application to Today's World" that clarifies why the case is important to business today. "Preventing Legal Disputes," which are integrated throughout the text, provide practical guidance for businesspersons.
- Ethical Issues: Integrated throughout the text, these features address ethical dilemmas related to the chapter topic. Included at the end of the chapter, "A Question of Ethics" questions ask users to look at both the legal and ethical issues revolving around hypothetical situations. In addition, the ethics chapter is completely revised and covers Investment Banking, AIG, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and the stock buybacks in 2008.
- Critical Thinking: "Critical Thinking" questions conclude the in-text features. Select cases include "What If the Facts Were Different?", a section that asks users how the decision might be different for an alternate fact pattern. "For Critical Analysis" questions require the users to think critically about a topic discussed in the chapter. The end-of-chapter problem material in select chapters includes a "Critical Thinking and Writing Assignment for Business," which presents an issue in a business setting and requires users to write an answer that addresses a number of points.
Download in Business Law Today: Essentials (Ninth Edition).
About the Author Roger LeRoy Miller studied at the University of California at Berkeley and the University of Chicago. He has been on the staff of a number of universities, including the University of Washington, Clemson University, and the University of Miami School of Law, where he taught, among other subjects, intellectual property and entertainment law. He has published in the Insurance Counsel Journal, Defense Research, and California Trial Lawyers Journal and has coauthored numerous textbooks, including BUSINESS LAW: TEXT & CASES, THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT: TEXT & CASES, BUSINESS LAW TODAY, FUNDAMENTALS OF BUSINESS LAW, and THE LEGAL ENVIRONMENT TODAY.
Dr. Jentz is the Herbert D. Kelleher Emeritus Centennial Professor in Business Law at the University of Texas at Austin Graduate School of Business. He received his B.A., M.B.A., and J.D. degrees from the University of Wisconsin. Dr. Jentz has been past President of the Academy of Legal Studies in Business, the Southwestern Federation of Administrative Disciplines, the Southern Business Law Association, Phi Kappa Phi (UT Chapter), and the Texas Association of College Teachers. He is the author or co-author of six monographs and fifty-six books and editions, including West's Business Law: Text & Cases, tenth edition (2006), West's Business Law Alternate Edition, tenth edition (2007), Fundamentals of Business Law, seventh edition (2007), and two versions of Business Law Today, seventh edition (2008), plus the Comprehensive Edition (2007). He has also published in learned journals and is past editor-in-chief of the American Business Law Journal. Dr. Jentz has given advanced purchasing seminars throughout the United States and previously taught over the years at five regional and graduate banking schools. Dr. Jentz is the recipient of sixteen teaching, academic, and service excellence awards, including the CBA Foundation Award for Excellence in Education, the CBA Foundation Advisory Council Distinguished Scholastic Contributions Award, the Academy of Legal Studies in Business Faculty Excellence Award, the Western States School of Banking Leadership Award, the James C. Scarboro Memorial Award for Outstanding Leadership in Banking Education, The University of Texas "Civitatis" Award, and the induction into the Texas Business School (McCombs School of Business) "CBA Hall of Fame." pdf