- Title: Literacy in the Early Grades: A Successful Start for PreK-4 Readers and Writers (3rd Edition)
- Author: Gail E. Tompkins
- Released: 2010-03-07
- Pages: 416
- ISBN: 0137027877
- ISBN13: 978-0137027873
- ASIN: 0137027877
The author did an exceptional job of presenting an abundance of ideas and examples. The Compendium of Instructional Procedures is a true strength.
Stacey A. Dudley, Bowling Green State University
The author is a well respected reading scholar. She is well known in California and throughout the country. Her text does indeed take you into the classroom and provides teacher-friendly support, particularly for beginning teachers.
Porfirio Loeza, California State University, Sacramento
My overall impression of this text is very positive. It is current, thorough, helpful, and teacher/student-friendly. The graphic representation is elegant and powerful. I like Preventing Reading and Writing Difficulties and Nurting English Learners features.
Bonnie Armbruster, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
From the Back Cover
The third edition of Literacy in the Early Grades: A Successful Start for PreK-4 Readers and Writers is the book that helps you get every student off to a successful start in literacy. Gail Tompkins, the leader in the field of literacy education, focuses her attention exclusively on the needs of students in PreKindergarten through Grade 4, and on the teachers who will prepare them for reading and writing success. With unsurpassed classroom application in the form of authentic classroom vignettes, student work samples, minilessons, assessment tools, video case studies, and the Compendium of Instructional Procedures, the third edition continues to cover the information new and experienced teachers need to know to teach literacy effectively, and follows this information with the specific strategies to use in the classroom to develop successful readers and writers in the primary grades.
Authentic Classroom Experience
- Developmental Continuum features help you understand how to implement chapter concepts appropriately according to student development.
- Spotlight features throughout the text give you in-depth information on literacy development, one remarkable student at a time.
- Authentic vignettes, photos, and student artifacts throughout chapters ground concepts in real primary grades classrooms.
- NEW! Reality Check: Time Management sections in chapters help you manage your time to better prepare primary grades students for literacy learning.
- NEW! Nurturing English Learner sections in chapters focus on ways to scaffold students who are learning to read and write at the same time they’re learning to speak English.
- NEW! PreK Practices notes throughout chapters draw your attention to the particular needs of preschoolers. These notes point to the most appropriate strategies and adaptations to meet the needs of the youngest literacy learners.
Assessment and Evaluation
- NEW! Assessment Tools in all chapters recommends specific tests and informal assessments to use to screen, diagnose, and monitor student progress.
- NEW! If Children Struggle features help you determine what to do after assessments to help primary grades students who continue to struggle with reading and writing.
NEW! In the pages of this text you'll meet five second graders who are learning to read and write. You’re invited to go to the Literacy Portraits section of the MyEducationLab website to watch students and their inspiring teacher. There you’ll examine classroom footage and student artifacts that document a year-long case study of literacy learning. A MyEducationLab Access Code is required to access this information.
- Literacy Portraits: Viewing Guide features in the text help you use the year long case study of five second grade students to apply chapter concepts like assessment, vocabulary instruction, word walls, and more.
- Margin notes draw your attention to additional video and other online materials that will enrich your understanding of chapter concepts.
To order this book WITH MyEducationLab, use either ISBN:
To order this book WITHOUT MyEducationLab, use either ISBN: