- Title: Language Development: An Introduction (8th Edition) (Allyn & Bacon Communication Sciences and Disorders)
- Author: Robert E. Owens Jr.
- Released: 2011-03-07
- Pages: 504
- ISBN: 013258252X
- ISBN13: 978-0132582520
- ASIN: 013258252X
From the Back Cover
As the most widely used text for introductory language development courses across the country, this comprehensive text allows students to understand every aspect of the discipline from a developmental perspective. Structured practically and chronologically, this text presents information in a highly readable manner for students. From language variations among children, new advances in linguistics and neurology, to the importance of literacy, the revised edition of Language Development: An Introduction includes expanded information regarding language development theories, bilingual and dialectical issues, and a unique emphasis on the constructionist perspective.
The eighth edition of this textalso includes a companion website that gives students a wealth of new tools for learning. The companion website includes interactive activities, sample test questions, links to helpful online resources, and extensive audio language samples of child language. The companion website can be found at:
New to this edition:
- Chapter 2 “Describing Language” is completely revised, presenting a more contemporary theoretical perspective.
- An updated companion website provides students with an online learning aid that reinforces the concepts covered in the text, links to helpful resources, and offers sample test questions.
- Extensive pedagogical aids including chapter objectives, conclusions, discussion questions, and main point features help students learn concepts, retain information, and think critically about what they have read.
- Bilingual and dialectal development is now discussed throughout the text rather than in a separate stand-alone chapter to emphasize the pertinence of bilingualism in the United States.
- Important background information has been added to Appendices to help condense the chapters, increase readability, and highlight important information.
- Research has been updated throughout the text so that the text reflects the most current research in the field